Monday 8 July 2013

Your body knows even what your mind doesn't

Our body is a really miraculous being! Just before my recent India trip my old knee pain came back and this time it was a really bad one. I had hard time climbing up the stairs and even getting down. I was feeling miserable. But, along with my knee pain being back something surprising happened. I completely lost my interest in ice-creams. Yes, you heard it right! Ice-creams! Someone who knows me well also knows how much I love ice-creams. I was really surprised by sudden and complete disinterest in ice-creams. I even tried to force myself into it, but I found myself responding to ice-creams like would have responded to horrible tasting and sickening stale food. I had no idea what was going on!!!
I finally gave up and thought I should just listen to my body. I had a tough time refusing to ice-creams offered by my loved ones on my India trip. (In India, food is “The way” you show affection towards someone. That’s the way you pamper someone, especially if you are meeting the person after a long time. )
In the meantime my knee pain had got worse. I decided and visited a doctor nearby. The doctor advised me not to have cold things. COLD THINGS!!!???? So no ice-creams, no cold drinks …. He also advised me to keep myself warm and not to expose myself to cold weather + plus some rest to my knees till they heal.
I was already avoiding cold things and cold weather. Thank you, body! J J I was stunned and full gratitude at the same time! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!©©©
But, I was not giving rest to my knees at all while it needed it badly L L
Now after approximately one month of resting and listening to my body, my knee is still healing and the process is on. (I am also feeding myself with natural sources of calcium – like unhusked sesame seeds and ensuring that I spend at least 15 mins in sun to get natural vitamin D)

Moral of the story – “Your body knows even what your mind doesn't. So, first follow the instructions of your body and then, if you wish to, you can search for the logic behind it.”

1 comment:

  1. I'd been experiencing headaches since I was a kid (since I was 8yrs old I guess). My headache became worse whenever I went out in sun, be it for a day or for half-an-hour. At the age of 9 the doc told me it is because of sinusitis and that I'm too young for an operation. So i continued with my allopathic medication for sinusities until I found out I was suffering from migraine (I was 15 then).

    Chocolates and cheese are something I can't resist. Whenever I saw anyone having it I used to get tempted to have it. But to my dismay Chocolates and cheese in any form were strict 'NO' for me .

    My headaches became a regular uninvited guests. Allopathic medication wasn't working for me. So, finally I decided to switch on to Ayurveda with a ray of hope in my heart. But things weren't changing for good.

    Finally I started listening to my body. I slumbered for sufficient number of hours, had food on time, practiced deep breathing exercises, kept myself away from distressing things and looked after myself with care and positive attitude along with the medication. I listened to my body and didn't do anything to which my body wasn't comfortable.And now it has been 5months since I've had my meds. Yes you have heard it right!! Because now I don't need them at all. :) But that doesn't mean that I have stopped listening to my body. :)

    ReplyDelete